The overall CORI Classroom goals include:
- Reading comprehension; writing; science; motivation
- Extended, engaged reading in the classroom for 60 minutes daily
CORI aims to support:
- Activating background knowledge, questioning, summarizing, searching, organizing graphically, and interpreting stories.
- Observation, using knowledge, questioning, designing investigations, collecting data, drawing conclusions, explaining results conceptually.
- Study of science theme:
Survival concepts (ecology): Feeding, locomotion, defense, predation, respiration, reproduction, competition, communication, adjustment to habitat.
- Knowledge goals for reading, "hands on" experiences, interesting books, choices about the learning, collaboration with classmates.
- Relating observations in "hands-on" science activities to contents and characters in literary and information books.
- Connecting students' interests in the environment to their motivations for book reading.
- Writing entries in portfolios demonstrating the following: Information text reading, literary text reading, science concepts, science processes, motivation for reading.